Is there a word meaning a place where pigeons are kept and held? In the Middle East, some people have a place on their roof to keep pigeons. Sometimes, this place is like a big cage and sometimes it is made from other building materials such bricks, cement, etc.

A person that has made this place is called pigeon-fancier.

A literal rendering of this place is pigeon house.

Have you heard this word in English? And is there another word for it?

  • 4
    I think it would generally be referred to as a pigeon coop. – Hot Licks May 7 '16 at 12:42
  • 1
    Yes I have heard this word in English. There was an outbuilding near the house where I grew up (in upstate New York, USA) that we always called the pigeon house. – Brian Donovan May 7 '16 at 14:16

In the US, "pigeon coop" is the most common term (even though the dictionaries appear to prefer "pigeon loft" or "pigeon house"). "Coop" is most familiar because a place for keeping chickens is a chicken coop.

  • 1
    In the UK Pigeon Loft will tend to be used to refer to a modern structure of timber or profiled metal sheeting, used by someone who keeps racing pigeons. – Spagirl May 7 '16 at 21:01

Try dovecote

A small house or box for pigeons to live in,

cote: a shed or coop for small domestic animals and especially pigeons


Also, columbarium or columbary

A structure for keeping doves or pigeons; a dovecote or pigeon loft.

-Ologies & -Isms.

  • 1
    Fun fact: Where cremated ashes are entombed in slots in a wall, it's called a columbarium because of the resemblance to the openings in a dovecot. However, it also denotes people being buried in columns. – Andrew Leach May 7 '16 at 19:33
  • 2
    'Dovecote' (In Scotland, 'Doocot') is generally, in the UK, used to refer to an historic structure, usually stone built. Modern pigeon homes in less durable materials are 'pigeon lofts'. – Spagirl May 7 '16 at 21:05
  • Uh, in the US, at least, a columbarium is a structure for holding the urns of cremated people. – Hot Licks May 10 '16 at 22:32

Historians (UK) prefer dovecotes to name the tall buildings of brick or stone (or even timber and plaster) with nesting holes for hundreds of birds. Pigeons lay eggs for most of the Spring and Summer so eggs and squabs provided food. But the main economic reason was the dung, high in nitrogen and phosphates,

[Dovecote with lantern ]

Dovecote today is the word for a garden ornament. The doves will usually be white doves or fantails. enter image description here

Welsh Dovecotes - Wall mounted Dovecote for sale

Wall-mounted cote

Those who keep tumblers to watch their flight and hold aerobatic competitions may simply call their home a box, or the box http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/Tumblers/BRKDutchTumbler.html download


If the birds are kept for their plumage, they will usually be housed in an aviary. This photo accompanied an advertisement: "selling due to lose of mate + i need to remove the aviary." enter image description here

Loft or Pigeon Loft is the word used by most pigeon fanciers especially those who keep racing- / homing-pigeons, even if they are housed in a shed at ground-level.

enter image description here




  • (Architecture) a loft for keeping pigeons in; dovecote; pigeon house

(Collins Dictionary)

  • 4
    Maybe it's different in the UK, but in the US "pigeonry" would mainly get you dumb looks. – Hot Licks May 7 '16 at 17:29
  • 1
    @Hotlicks Nope. Same in UK. No doubt the word exists, but it's hardly common. (It does have the same form as canonry or archdeaconry for the houses of ecclesiastical dignitaries, so it might be understood; but it's not well-used.) – Andrew Leach May 7 '16 at 19:31
  • @AndrewLeach - So, generally speaking, an "XXXonry" is a place for strange birds? – Hot Licks May 7 '16 at 23:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.