I keep seeing words like these. Another example is:


Is this valid? People use it like this...

There are so many things I have to sell. I have books, bags, clothes and other stuffs.

migrated from writers.stackexchange.com May 7 '16 at 1:11

This question came from our site for the craft of professional writing, including fiction, non-fiction, technical, scholarly, and commercial writing.

  • What are paperworks? I don't know the term. – Tave May 5 '16 at 17:53
  • No. Stuff is plural without the s. Same thing with Paperwork. It's plural without the s as well. – DoWhileNot May 5 '16 at 18:04
  • Paperwork is a collective noun, I think. I only see stuffs (the noun, not the verb form) as part of the somewhat archaic foodstuffs. – Lauren Ipsum May 5 '16 at 18:22
  • @DoWhileNot That's what I thought! I don't understand why so many people use it. It sounds incorrect! – Aurora Afable May 6 '16 at 0:45
  • I most often hear it from people who speak English as a second language and they know the rules of English, but not the exceptions to the rules when they show up. English isn't like a lot of languages that were born and raised in one single place - it's a big mash up of many different languages, so it has some basic rules that are pretty easy to understand and then a huge mass of exceptions to those rules that you can only learn with experience. – DoWhileNot May 6 '16 at 18:43

Neither the term paperworks or stuffs would be appropriate for academic writing (unless it's discussing this particular phenomenon of the vernacular).

Paperwork and stuff (no 's' on either) would be the correct terms, as they're collective nouns and may be either singular or plural, depending on usage. I'd recommend not using the terms (especially stuff). Be more specific.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.