In a cave, through a series of openings, beams of light fall inside. so that the darkness is punctuated with beams of light like so :

Light filtering through trees


What is another name for this collection ?

Sample Sentence - Sunlight fell in beams through the holes, drilled into the sides of the cavern, at intervals so that it appeared to be a "??" collection of dark interspersed with beams of light.

Note: I have seen this question and while it talks about the name for the phenomenon, I'm talking about describing the effect.

  • A Grand Central Station?
    – Dan Bron
    May 6, 2016 at 12:58
  • It seems you're not asking for a name for the collection of light beams, you're asking for a name for the total effect of the beams penetrating the darkness. Anyway, if you collect a number of light beams, you end up with just one..
    – frank
    May 6, 2016 at 14:25
  • Also related: english.stackexchange.com/questions/166430/… which gives an answer (it's a sheaf of rays).
    – Andrew Leach
    May 6, 2016 at 15:23

2 Answers 2


You could call it an array of light beams.



Technically speaking, the phenomenom you're witnessing are crepuscular rays, but we know them by more colloquial terms:

  • Sunbeams
  • Sun rays
  • Rays of sunshine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays https://www.google.com/#q=Crepuscular+rays+cave

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.