There is an adjective in my mother tongue (Turkish), "kıymet bilmez"...

We use it to describe the people who don't understand or appreciate the good things, the good opportunities etc. which they have. They take everything for granted.

Is there some common adjective in English to describe such a man or woman...

Best regards...

  • 3
    Your text translates to ungrateful. You have to narrow down your requirements.
    – vickyace
    May 5 '16 at 20:18
  • 2
    Consider "jaded" or "blasé". feeling or showing a lack of interest and excitement for good things
    – Graffito
    May 5 '16 at 20:24
  • 2
    You've said it yourself - if they don't appreciate things they are unappreciative or inappreciative.
    – Lucky
    May 5 '16 at 20:46

There is actually a noun for this: ingrate. It's now a little archaic, but you'll see it in writing pre-1900.

I don't think it's your meaning, but someone who "doesn't appreciate the good things they have" because they don't understand them or don't choose to value them is often called a Philistine.

You can use adjectives, of which ungrateful is the most obvious.

However, if you want a nice idiomatic turn of phrase, we have to not know you're born (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/not-know-one-is-born) which covers it admirably. Sample usage:

"I can't believe he said that about the NHS. Some people don't know they're born!"

(point of context: the NHS is the British national health service, where you get fantastic health treatment for free, hence the example)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.