What is the word for when a writer spells words of a character's dialogue differently for a character in order to express an accent or dialect? I think it starts with a 'd'.

  • 2
    One word for this is eye dialect. – Peter Shor May 5 '16 at 2:24

This is called phonetic transcription:

the visual representation of speech sounds


When I saw your description, my mind instantly went to Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God, which uses phonetic transcription throughout the entirety of the book.

“If God don’t think no mo’ ’bout ’em then Ah do, they’s a lost ball in de high grass.”

  • Sorry, that is not phonetic transcription. That is eye dialect, as Peter Shor points out above. By contrast, ['ðɪsɪzfə'nɛɾɨktræn'skrɪpʃɨn]. – John Lawler May 5 '16 at 13:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.