Is there a singular word for the act of 'de-acknowledging' or 'removing an acknowledgement'.

For context: I am creating a computer program with a list of issues. Issues can be acknowledged. But these acknowledgements can than be removed again.

I would like to put a singular word on the button that performs this action.

  • How about renounce : merriam-webster.com/dictionary/renounce
    – MorganFR
    May 4, 2016 at 11:23
  • As such, an acknowledgment is not something that can be "removed," "rescinded," "revoked" or negated in any way. We may initially provide a "provisional acknowledgment" that can later be either "confirmed" or "canceled."
    – Kris
    May 4, 2016 at 11:57
  • BTW, neither unacknowledge nor disacknowledge -- and there's no such word as *"de-acknowledge."
    – Kris
    May 4, 2016 at 12:03

4 Answers 4


Being a software engineer, I am sure the word you are looking for is Revoke

  • +1 See also my comment at OP.
    – Kris
    May 4, 2016 at 11:54

Acknowledgements can be withdrawn.

Withdraw verb 4 Discontinue or no longer provide (something previously supplied or offered) - ODO

Here are some usage examples:


Acknowledge/Ignore or Acknowledge/Revert is what you are looking for...

Acknowledge means accept or admit or recognize

In this context you have to revert back the acknowledgement, so Revert can be used. Ignore can even be used.


Being unclear what you mean by issue, I nevertheless have the feeling that what you want here is recant - echoing Galileo: I recant, she revolves. Renege is a possibility, but it carries a taint of reprensibility.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.