You often see this with Italians, especially when complimenting some food they just ate, but it has evolved into a more universal gesture.

Take the thumb, index, and middle finger, gather them together, bring them to your lips, and kiss them, while moving your arm away and spread your fingers, while saying MWAH!

Is there a single word for this gesture?

  • 3
    I don't know for sure, but this video shows a ton of Italian gestures and they're fun. You should see. I've linked it to the relevant part. See if that helps. – NVZ Apr 29 '16 at 21:20
  • That's not a gesture used by English-speaking countries so I'm not sure you'd find an English word for it. – Kristina Lopez Apr 29 '16 at 21:38
  • It doesn't have to be a pure English word. It could be a borrow. – rbp Apr 29 '16 at 22:04

well I will say: 'magnifico!'

  • yes, that's the expression! i'm wondering if there's a name for the gesture itself. – rbp Apr 29 '16 at 20:55
  • or "che gusto" (What a taste") – Graffito Apr 29 '16 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.