So as far as I can remember, whenever a teacher gives you work at the beginning of a class period, they are called "Drills" or "Warm-ups"; however, friends that I have talked to from other schools around the U.S. hear them called "Bell Ringers" or "Do Nows". Do certain parts of the U.S. call them differently then others? Or is it entirely dependent on the school?

  • I found this Apr 28, 2016 at 21:13
  • 1
    To me, "drills" are a particular kind of classwork, not necessarily performed at the beginning of a class period. Merriam-Webster agrees. I don't recall having a specific term for what you describe when I was in school.
    – PellMel
    Apr 28, 2016 at 21:23
  • In New York, we call them Do Nows. Apr 29, 2016 at 3:12

1 Answer 1


So it seems that there are different terms for different education boards around the U.S.

  • 1
    You should probably summarize them then.
    – Kit Z. Fox
    May 24, 2016 at 14:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.