When we want to modify a prepositional phrase, which structure do we need to use? For example, in the following sentence:

I like the books of Shakespeare that are nice to read.

I want to modify "the books of Shakespeare", so is this structure right? And is there a rule about this?

  • To be clear, you could use paired demonstrative and relative those/which, thus: I like those books of Shakespeare which are nice to read. This is a particular usage in which the standard preference for that over which as the relative pronoun for restrictive relative clauses is reversed. The implication is that your liking for Shakespeare's books is limited to those that meet this criterion. – Brian Donovan Apr 27 '16 at 23:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.