I know that in order to spell a number you have to insert an "and" between the hundred and units. For instance 301 will be "three hundred and one". But what about larger numbers? 1,301 is "one thousand three hundred and one" or "one thousand and three hundred and one"?

In this case, British an American spelling is the same?

  • Not really an answer to your question, but students of mathematics are instructed that and only replaces the decimal point, so 1301 is "one thousand three hundred one"; 1301.5 is "one thousand three hundred one and a half". Apr 27, 2016 at 15:52
  • @Malvolio Perhaps some students of mathematics are. The ones who study math rather than maths. Feb 24, 2018 at 11:38

1 Answer 1


One thousand three hundred and one is the correct way to say it in both American and British English.

  • Five million, three hundred seventy-two thousand four hundred and thirty five.
    – Rayner
    Apr 27, 2016 at 15:47
  • Five million, three hundred and seventy-two thousand four hundred and thirty five in British English. And is never omitted after hundred.
    – Andrew Leach
    Feb 24, 2018 at 10:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.