In many countries, academics pursue a special field, typically a branch of their bachelor subject, as MS students. For example someone who has studied computer engineering in bachelor degree, might choose to study one of its branches like computer hardware architecture, computer software, IT, artificial intelligence, etc. for MS degree. What do you call this special field of study sought usually in post-graduate stage? Is is subject, field, discipline, specialty, or something else? Persians call it Gerayesh (=گرایش), literally meaning attraction, interest. But I am not knowledgeable of any English equivalent for this usage.


2 Answers 2


I believe the phrase you're looking for is specialization. The verb is specialize.

  • 1
    You could also use the word focus.
    – Rayner
    Commented Apr 27, 2016 at 15:36

I would call this a specialization or specialty.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.