What is the term for a person working professionally with chocolates (stuffed chocolates and alike of the finer sort)?

I'm looking for the "title" of such a person in the same manner as the word confectioner, which is the broader term for someone skilled in making creative cakes, ice cream courses, stuffed chocolates and decorative sweet things in general.

  • 12
    Googling for "term for person who works with chocolate" answers this instantly. – David Richerby Apr 27 '16 at 19:22
  • 5
    @DavidRicherby: yeah, so? – Marthaª Apr 27 '16 at 19:49
  • 4
    @Marthaª So do we welcome general reference questions even in 2016? This question shows zero research effort, doesn't it? :) – NVZ Apr 27 '16 at 21:40
  • 6
    I downvoted for the same reason as @DavidRicherby. Even the most cursory research would have identified a suitable answer. Per the downvote script; "this question does not show any research effort" – Richard Apr 27 '16 at 23:38
  • 5
    @Marthaª Well, Google immediately tells you that the answer might be "chocolatier". Even people who don't want to trust Google now have a word they can look up in a dictionary that they do trust. I accept that having to check a dictionary too means that Google isn't "instant", as I originally claimed. However, it does lead you right to the answer. – David Richerby Apr 28 '16 at 0:48

I think you are looking for chocolatier:

  • a person who makes or sells chocolate candy


The term is a French one which has become popular especially from the 80's according to Google Books.

  • 3
    @Steeven - you may emphasize the technical know-how, by saying "master chocolatier". – Graffito Apr 27 '16 at 15:52

I have to agree that the question could be refined to include whether the person "'working' with chocolate" was 'working' [Manufacturing it from a scratch..coco beans, adding the cream/milk, and so forth] or is 'working' in a sales capacity only of handling the made and ready for public consumption product to be delivered in some fashion from say a storefront customer/end user might happen to walk in or in a packaged to order with delivery like a flower and/or candy company might do for Valentine's Day. Secondly, whether the business interest is solely Chocolate; because, if the person "works with chocolate" but with other sweets, even if chocolate is the primary or is found prolifically with each purchase the person would be better defined as a Confectioner. The work environment would commonly be termed as a Confectioner's shop in the business of selling confections also called sweets or candy is sweet food. Also it may be sold along side or in a form like Ice cream, or Taffy, Caramels, hard candies, Hot Fudges, etc. The term varies among English-speaking countries. In general, though, confectionery is divided into two broad and somewhat overlapping categories, bakers' confections and sugar confections. A good reference I found was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confectionery. I hope this proves helpful, edifying or at least satisfactory {like a nice bite of rich chocolate}.


The word I have heard used for someone who works in a Chocolaterie is a Pâtissier, even though title is typically given to pastry chefs, and not artisans working in chocolate in particular.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.