This question already has an answer here:

I'm trying to come up with a word that describes a male aged from 20 through 25. Man feels too adult like and Young Adult feels like a teenager. The type of word I'm looking for is someone not yet middle aged, but is on his way there, but still retains some youthfulness.

Thank you for your response.

Just to add on, any word using modern terms probably won't work, as it is being used in something set in a medieval / fantasy realm.

An edit to explain how. I am asking for a word that is referring to a male who is older than a young adult who still has a sense of youthfulness. An example would be someone about to graduate college, someone who feels too old to be called young (adult) but does not have the experiences or age yet to be considered middle aged.

marked as duplicate by Kristina Lopez, user66974 Apr 26 '16 at 22:25

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Depending on the context, perhaps fellow: "He was an amiable fellow". Using fellow intentionally avoids using 'boy', implying that the person isn't a boy or necessarily young. Likewise, I would think 'fellow' is too informal to describe an older person.

Chap or gent could also work, as a child certainly isn't a "gent".

  • OTOH, gent would probably be too formal to describe a young person ;) – Tim Malone Apr 26 '16 at 22:31
  • 1
    I don't consider 'fellow' necessarily to relate to a young man (at least not in BrE) - it can be used to refer to any male. You could refer to young fellow, but that really avoids the question. – TrevorD Apr 26 '16 at 22:34
  • @TimMalone Nowadays it would be, but one hundred years ago I shouldn't think so. Think of a 23 year old student at Oxford. Surely this would be a 'gent'. – socrates Apr 26 '16 at 22:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.