I was passing by a library and there were these very small (artificially created) bodies of water, square shaped, in a repeating pattern with some flowers also repeat between these bodies of water on the concrete in the middle of them. There were ten of them or so. They're probably six feet by six. Looked maybe only a foot deep.

I don't know what one would call them. Pond? Small pool? Basin?

Appreciate your help.

  • Ornemental ponds ?
    – Graffito
    Apr 26 '16 at 20:44
  • I wouldn't use small pool or basin, but pond could be partially correct (and probably preferable in some cases). However I think Phil has the best answer for this case.
    – Tim Malone
    Apr 26 '16 at 20:47
  • I do not understand what bumped this question. There was no edit to the Q or the sole A, the sole A had already been upvoted, so the Q wasn't "unanswered". This happens with some frequency and it irritates me.
    – Dan Bron
    Dec 26 '16 at 17:35

In landscape architecture, they are called water features. Not very inspiring, but that's the way it goes sometimes.


  • 1
    From the description in the question I think this is correct in this case, however it's also worth noting that pond might be more suitable in some other cases.
    – Tim Malone
    Apr 26 '16 at 20:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.