Possible Duplicate:
What is a word/phrase for using a term for a popular special case instead of a generic term?

As the title of this question indicates, I was wondering if there is a specific term that means a trademarked product name that has become synonymous with the 'proper' name of an item.

For example:

  • the word perspex, which is used to describe PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), even if it is not made by ICI,
  • biro, which is more often than not used to describe a ballpoint pen, and
  • super glue, which seems to be the common name for cyanoacrylate adhesives, or any other type of liquid/paste-form bonding agent of similar strength.
| |