I have to translate "ayudante de cátedra" from a Spanish document. This is a university job that a former good student of a course can take. The student's job is to answer questions from the current students of the course, do extra exercise solving sessions and help the professor with the test revisions. I'm not sure if "professor assistant" is the right translation. What do you think?

  • 3
    TA or teaching assistant is common for this in the US – Mitch Apr 25 '16 at 20:55
  • "Assistant professor" (or "teaching assistant", if lesser qualification is required). – Graffito Apr 25 '16 at 20:58
  • Please feel free to post your answers as answers. That way we can vote for the best. – Cristóbal Ganter Apr 25 '16 at 21:01
  • Possible related: Term for a person who conducts practice lessons – choster Apr 25 '16 at 22:56

Teacher's assistant in the US. Not sure what the equivalent would be in the UK.

  • 1
    A Teacher's Assistant is an assistant to a primary or secondary teacher; it's a permanent job. A Teaching Assistant/TA (or Graduate Student Instructor/GSI at some schools), by contrast, is a temporary job taken by a graduate student to earn money, pay tuition, and gain experience as a teacher of the discipline they're studying. One or more TAs get assigned to most large classes in big universities; that's one reason there are so many English grad students -- they teach freshman comp. – John Lawler Apr 25 '16 at 23:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.