I have been wondering recently, mainly because of my recent site proposal on Area 51 named "YouTubers", what the word to name a professional video sharer is.

For YouTube it would be "YouTuber".

If I want to expand the term to apply to all video-sharing websites, what would the word be?

  • What do you mean by the term professional sharer?
    – Lawrence
    Apr 24, 2016 at 14:53
  • Someone whose job is to share videos on websites such as YouTube to make money by ads and additional products
    – sbswim
    Apr 24, 2016 at 14:54
  • Traditionally, wouldn't they just be called marketers or advertisers?
    – Lawrence
    Apr 24, 2016 at 14:57
  • No, what I mean by ads is just an ad before the video, not the video itself.
    – sbswim
    Apr 24, 2016 at 15:03
  • 1
    video blogger - vlogger?
    – user171913
    Apr 24, 2016 at 15:16

1 Answer 1


Content creator

Someone who is actively creating and publishing original content to an audience on one or more media platforms.

Wikipedia explains in detail about Content creation. Click to read more.

Content creation is the contribution of information to any media and most especially to digital media for an end-user/audience in specific contexts. Content is "something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing or any of various arts" for self-expression, distribution, marketing and/or publication. Typical forms of content creation include maintaining and updating web sites, blogging, photography, videography, online commentary, the maintenance of social media accounts, and editing and distribution of digital media. A Pew survey described content creation as the creation of "the material people contribute to the online world."

For the special case of videos, you may use "Video Content Creator", although I've only seen "content creator" used, generally.

After googling, I've found a lot of job profiles with the title "Video Content Creator", so there's that.

  • Great answer. Would "Video Content Creator" make sense in this context?
    – sbswim
    Apr 24, 2016 at 19:06
  • @sbswim It would make sense, but too big a name. I have only seen content creator used even in the case of videos. I guess if you go through the links I've shared, you'll get a better idea whether to include video along with content creator.
    – NVZ
    Apr 24, 2016 at 19:10
  • Awesome, works for me! I'll stick with just "Content Creator" it seems to fit what I am trying to accomplish.
    – sbswim
    Apr 24, 2016 at 19:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.