In italian schools when a student misbehaves a teacher can write "a note" in his register to report his behaviour. Is there anything like that in English? What expression do they use in English or American schools?

  • 1
    "misbehavior/misconduct report" ?
    – Graffito
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 13:07
  • 1
    Does the student necessarily know that the record has been made? I suspect practices like this are gradually reducing over time, but perhaps what you're talking about is what in some educational/supervision environments (particularly, schools) might be called a demerit (North American) A mark awarded against someone for a fault or offence. Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 13:07
  • 2
    A closely related term in the workplace is a "write-up".
    – TecBrat
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 13:12
  • There is no regulated way of doing this in Britain, and the system used is at the discretion of the particular school and its Head Teacher. But some appropriate record has to be maintained, for evidential purposes.
    – WS2
    Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 19:32

1 Answer 1


A common expression is mark/marked

'The teacher put a mark on his permanent record'.

'He marked the register to show that the student had arrived late'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.