I'm trying to come up with a word for the science and study of buildings and of their inhabitants. This would include, but not be restricted to, the study of building physics, energy, indoor environmental quality, ergonomics, etc. The goal is to come up with a two-word phrase for the use of computers in that field, i.e. Computational XXXology or something similar.

We already have Building Science or Building Physics but I find that Computational Building Science becomes clumsy.

I've been looking up different synonyms for buildings and their greek translation:

  • building: ktirio
  • house: spiti
  • residence: katokoia
  • construction: oikodomue

And I suppose this would yield ktiriology, spitiology, katokoiology, or oikodumology. None of which makes for a particularly memorable word.

Any suggestions?

closed as off-topic by Hot Licks, Drew, tchrist, NVZ, curiousdannii Apr 15 '16 at 2:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Hot Licks, Drew, tchrist, NVZ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    I think Architecture covers everything you listed. Suggestion: Look at the course offerings of the architecture programs at several leading schools (e.g., MIT, Yale). – ab2 Apr 13 '16 at 19:52
  • @ab2 It's close, but I wouldn't say that Architecture is about the scientific study of buildings. – lindelof Apr 13 '16 at 19:54
  • 1
    Taking ab2's suggesting, there seem to be several universities which offer programs in what they call "Building Science". Slightly anticlimactic... – Hypaethral Apr 13 '16 at 19:57
  • @GrumbleSnatch That would be two words ;-) – lindelof Apr 13 '16 at 19:58
  • 3
    Building Science on Wikipedia. Why do you need it to be single word, knowing it will sound strange to people? I'm curious. – NVZ Apr 13 '16 at 20:30

In my experience, people who do these sorts of things have the title:

Civil engineer - Architectural and Interior design

I have heard the phrase Building Science thrown around too: http://archdesign.vt.edu/architecture-design/building_science.php

This page yields another interesting phrase, "Building Information Modeling".

In your situation, instead of Computational Building Science, you could instead use Building Information Sciences or BIS as an acronym.


I have two suggestions: the first is Computational Architecture.

When I google computational architecture, I come up with many entries, including one from the MIT Design and Computation Group (MIT Department of Architecture.)

Our work is informed simultaneously by architectural practice as well as a variety of other disciplinary perspectives including mathematics, computer science, cognitive science, philosophy, anthropology, STS (Science, Technology, and Society), media studies, and art......... [Students] are expected to acquire both the technical skills and the theoretical and conceptual foundations to rethink and challenge the limits of current design processes and practices.

The same reference mentions

construction processes and technologies

I make the second suggestion only because the OP was thinking along Greek-root lines. The OP's research turned up several possibilities; the only one whose root I recognized was oikodomue (construction).

This suggests computational oikosology or computational weikology

Oikos "house, dwelling place, habitation", is the root for economics and ecology. Etomoline. Oikos comes from the Indo European root weik (house), which gives rise to village through the Latin vicus (Mario Pei, The Families of Words) See also villa on Etomoline for other roots you could co-opt.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.