The german term is Absetzmulde (Image search).

They look like this:
enter image description here
Image source: Sirch GmbH
There are varios different styles of bulk goods containers that can be easily loaded on/off a truck, but I'm specifically looking for this shape.

  • 2
    In the US, large metal containers for refuse are called dumpsters. But many are of different shapes from the one illustrated. – bib Apr 13 '16 at 11:48
  • I've voted to move this question to English Language Learners, where it will help more people. I've given you a +1 to get you off to a good start over there :) – Araucaria - Not here any more. Apr 13 '16 at 11:49
  • Yeah, generally a "dumpster" (from a trade name) in the US, also just "bin" and the like at times. ("Skip" is apt to get you dumb looks.) – Hot Licks Apr 13 '16 at 12:15
  • @HotLicks Depends where in the world you are. In British English, "dumpster" doesn't exist, "bin" means "trash can" and describing the object in the question as anything other than a skip will get you strange looks. – David Richerby Apr 13 '16 at 17:21
  • 1
    A dumpster which is dropped off at a location, filled, then picked up and taken away is called a 'rolloff', as opposed to a standard dumpster, which is left in a location, and a truck picks it up and dumps the contents then puts it back down. – barbecue Apr 13 '16 at 20:00

That's called a skip in British English. It may have other names in other dialects.

British A large transportable open-topped container for building and other refuse:
I’ve salvaged a carpet from a skip


A Google image search yields lots of examples.

| improve this answer | |
  • Funny: I've image searched quite a few terms except skip because at a former job we reffered to roll on/off dumpsters as skips. Germans and our english! – mart Apr 13 '16 at 11:55
  • 1
    Right, a skip is generally a trash receptacle. It doesn't have to be, but that's the first thing that will come to mind. Those are called portable hoppers – Phil Sweet Apr 13 '16 at 12:25
  • Skip was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. – barbecue Apr 13 '16 at 20:09
  • It's generally called the same thing in Australian English as well. – Glen_b Apr 13 '16 at 22:42
  • So I rang up a local building firm. I said "I want a skip outside my house." He said "I'm not stopping you." – Stewart Apr 13 '16 at 23:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.