What do I call a semi-circular concrete platform in my back yard that looks like a stage. It is about 30 inches above my grass lawn and is attached to my rear wall and appears that it could be a band stage. We currently use this as a conversation/fire pit area and it is always difficult to describe to someone who has not seen it. Photo attached: Back Yard Conversation/Fire Pit Area


It is a raised patio

See Images for raised patio

I didn't find anything as definitive architecturally as the Oxford Dictionary is for words, but raised patio seems to be a common term. There are many entries; I picked this one at random: How to Build a Raised Patio

Yours is beautiful.

  • 1
    How about a "deck" or a "stone deck"? You could also have some fun and call it an "altar,"which is a raised place or structure where sacrifices are offered and religious rites performed. – user26732 Apr 12 '16 at 20:24

I reckon I'd ask my guests to join me on the bandstand.

Although, clearly, it cannot be a functioning bandstand as currently furnished, the OP says that "it could be a band stage", and it is a sociable location ("a conversation/fire pit area").

A fun, whimsical name, such as the bandstand seems more appropriate to the OP's request than anything more architecturally accurate.

  • 1
    Hi Dan, someone flagged your answer as being low-quality, possibly because it's too short or not detailed enough. I would recommend linking to a reputable dictionary definition of bandstand and pasting the definition into a blockquote, explaining why this is an appropriate name for the platform. - From Review – John Clifford Apr 13 '16 at 8:44

It looks like a dais :

  • a raised platform in a large room or hall that people stand on when performing or speaking to an audience.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.