Is the word "mechanics" singular or plural? For example, should I say that the skin mechanics vary or varies?

marked as duplicate by choster, NVZ, tchrist, curiousdannii, jimm101 Apr 15 '16 at 12:16

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


I don't know what skin mechanics are, but they are plural. Swing mechanics in golf, as in, all the things one does that contribute to a good swing, are plural.

"The skin mechanics vary [from person to person]."

  • But skin mechanics was my special interest at university? – WS2 Apr 12 '16 at 18:36
  • Quantum mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics. Quantum mechanics explains the way a photon can interfere with itself. – Hugh Meyers Apr 12 '16 at 18:46
  • I strongly recommend you look at the duplicate which @choster spotted. There is some very good material there, on this subject. – WS2 Apr 12 '16 at 18:46
  • 'Skin mechanics was my special interest at university' refers to the (singular) subject of skin mechanics. As does the next comment, 'Quantum Mechanics'. If you're talking about a single subject of study, it's singular. If you're talking about several mechanics that contribute to skin, it's plural. – Tony Apr 12 '16 at 19:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.