What is a word that describes one's satisfaction in the phonetics of a word? Like visual appeal of a pictures, but the audible appeal of a word.

  • 4
    Are you asking for a word describing the pleasure or the sound? If it's the sound, you can say it's mellifluous. – Lawrence Apr 12 '16 at 9:16
  • 7
    Another word for audible appeal is euphony, though I admit that "mellifluous" is more euphonic than "euphony". – Hugh Meyers Apr 12 '16 at 9:32
  • Hamlet: Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounc'd it to you, trippingly on the tongue; but if you mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the town-crier spoke my lines. Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 1–4 – rhetorician Apr 12 '16 at 13:43

The go-to word for this quality is euphony:

Good phonetic quality of certain words.

More poetic options include mellifluousness and consonance


I'm not sure this is entirely germane to your question - whether you're talking about the phonetics as it leaves your mouth or as it hits your ear - but I'll offer "mouthfeel" for the "as it leaves your mouth" part. It is typically used of foods to talk about how it feels in your mouth. (Think of pudding versus crackers versus steak.)

I've never been entirely sure it was appropriate to apply "mouthfeel" to words as well, but I'm not aware of anything else.

Personally, I have loved the "mouthfeel" of the name "Sam" since I was a small child.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.