Someone (in most cases an academic) who is well-rounded in the field of ancient manuscripts, with solid training in history and/or literature, one or more ancient languages, paleography, and codicology. Thank you

2 Answers 2


Wouldn't palaeographer fit in your context?


  • The study and scholarly interpretation of earlier, especially ancient, writing and forms of writing.



I would think "philologist" is more apt.

Philology -- the study of literary texts and of written records, the establishment of their authenticity and their original form, and the determination of their meaning.

  • 1
    Copied definitions should include a citation.
    – DW256
    Jul 2, 2020 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.