If someone has realized that he made a wrong decision in life or has had the wrong beliefs for a long time, he might say I lived the wrong way. What are alternative ways of phrasing this?

It doesn't need to be religious.

4 Answers 4


How about:

I need to turn over a new leaf.


Since this is a common sentiment within Christianity (and you did mention belief) here's some synonymous phrases you might hear in that context:

I was blind but now I see.
I was lost but now am found.
I strayed from the straight and narrow.
I strayed from the path of righteousness.
I am a prodigal son, returning home.


Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

That's a very common line, haha :)

But normally, I would just say, "I made a wrong move" if I felt I made a bad decision.


People often say that they have reformed from something; e.g. "I am a reformed alcoholic".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.