While on a mission in Argentina, I encountered a type of window blind system there called a "persiana." It looked like this:

Roller blind

You tug on the nylon belt to the right to raise and lower the blinds, which are usually made of plastic. There are holes between the slats to let the air through without letting in lots of light. They are notorious for being difficult to operate and breaking often, as this one here (the case is missing, probably because we were trying to fix it).

Is there a word for this kind of blind system in English? I thought about "louver" but that doesn't seem quite right (according to Google Images/Wikipedia).

  • 5
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it asks for an English translation, while the site is meant for other way round questions.
    – fedorqui
    Apr 4 '16 at 8:17
  • You should ask this question either on ELU or ELL
    – Yay
    Apr 4 '16 at 10:46
  • They are called overhead doors in the states
    – Andres Calle
    Apr 4 '16 at 13:21
  • @fedorqui Can I just flag this question to be moved?
    – intcreator
    Apr 5 '16 at 3:27
  • 1
    Actually, persiana is any kind of window shutter — the complete name of this particular kind of window blind in Argentine Spanish is persiana de enrollar, literally roller blind or roller shutter as suggested by both answers below.
    – JMVanPelt
    Apr 5 '16 at 16:04

It's called a roller shutter.

A roller shutter, roller door or sectional overhead door is a type of door or window shutter consisting of many horizontal slats (or sometimes bars or web systems) hinged together. The door is raised to open it and lowered to close it. On large doors, the action may be motorized. It provides protection against wind and rain. In shutter form, it is used in front of a window and protects the window from vandalism and burglary attempts. - wikipedia


It looks like a "heavy duty", ie metal, kind of what I (in the UK) would call a roller blind. These have a cord on one side which you can pull either side to lower or raise the blind.

enter image description here

  • Where did you get the pictures?
    – intcreator
    Apr 6 '16 at 4:15
  • 1
    I just google image searched "roller blinds", Apr 6 '16 at 7:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.