Base Word:



revoke, cancel, or repeal.

Example: The rescidication of that law is ridiculous.

Am I making up a word here? Or is a real word despite spell checker and google? I suppose "rescinding" could be used, but that's present tense.

  • Please, laws are rescinded, not admissions to colleges. Yes, you are off the track, in the weeds.....rescinding is not present tense only. It is also a noun.
    – Lambie
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:13
  • @armflare you can use 'rescind' only if Yale offered you a place, which you accepted, and then withdrew their offer. It is not equivalent to Yale rejecting your application. Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:25
  • But no past-tense use? Only something like "rescinded" or "rescinding"?
    – amflare
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:26
  • 1
    Julie is right. :) I have never heard of a college doing that. I have heard of an offer being rescinded.
    – Lambie
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:27
  • 1
    It might create homophone problems with resyndication, as in "The resyndication of that guy's lousy editorial columns is ridiculous."
    – Sven Yargs
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:48

1 Answer 1


You are looking for the noun of rescind, which can be rescission or rescindment.

rescission - the revocation, cancellation, or repeal of a law, order, or agreement. (Google)

rescindment - the doing away with something by formal action (MW)

  • Not exactly what I was after, but thanks for the alternate words.
    – amflare
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 23:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.