I'm trying to think of a good idiom/phrase for the process of questioning what you have, tinkering with it and finally returning to what you had at first. Specifically returning accidentally, then thinking "oh that's exactly what I had originally."

Reason - I do this a lot when writing essays, just curious if there's a phrase for it.

  • If it is done over and over again...I have heard the verbed noun "frankensteining" used. – Cascabel Mar 31 '16 at 23:18
  • It sounds like "slogging your way back to square one." – Sven Yargs Mar 31 '16 at 23:50
  • procrastinating? it's not quite right, but it might work. – Brad Apr 1 '16 at 19:56

It probably isn't the best term for what you want, but you could say "He came full circle." That term simply means that something has completed a cycle, returning to its beginning.


Probably the phrase "the first thought is always the best " suggests what you are referring to.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.