Is there any word to describe this? I have tried inging but not sure if that is the best word.

closed as primarily opinion-based by Drew, jimm101, NVZ, curiousdannii, ab2 Mar 26 '16 at 9:49

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Clinking? Spanging? Tinkling? Pinging? – Dan Bron Mar 25 '16 at 18:44
  • Is the spoon dropped or is it under the control of the diner, but is hit against the plate in the course of eating? Is the plate plastic, stonewear or china? These variables would play a role in whether the sound is tinkling, dinging, thunking, clanking, etc. – Kristina Lopez Mar 25 '16 at 18:47
  • Oh yes of course, sorry. The spoon is hit in the course of eating and the plates are bone china. The spoon is stainless steel. – Pumpkinpeach Mar 25 '16 at 18:50
  • "clackle" ----- – Greg Lee Mar 25 '16 at 18:58
  • 1
    Then Dan's suggested "clinking" or "tinkling" would be good for your sound and probably well-understood, too. – Kristina Lopez Mar 25 '16 at 18:58

Clinking is the onomatopoeia I most often see used with dishes. Here's an example.

If it was a very light sound, and there was a lot of it continually (such as a large, polite dinner party), I might call the cumulative sound tinkling.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.