The British spy thriller series, The Worricker Trilogy, consists of three films: Page Eight, Turks & Caicos, and Salting the battlefield. What is the meaning of the last title?
I tried looking in Collins ED under salting, but the following information did not really help me.
tr.v. salt·ed, salt·ing, salts
- To add, treat, season, or sprinkle with salt.
- To cure or preserve by treating with salt or a salt solution.
- To provide salt for (deer or cattle).
- To add zest or liveliness to: salt a lecture with anecdotes.
- To give an appearance of value to by fraudulent means, especially to place valuable minerals in (a mine) for the purpose of deceiving.
and this definition seems related to the title but I'm not sure.
salting n (Physical Geography) (often plural) an area of low ground regularly inundated with salt water; often taken to include its halophyte vegetation; a salt marsh
[The Free Dictionary]