Growing up far from the sea, the little make-shift restaurants along the beach in summer are new to me. A Japanese friend asked what they are called in English. My search resulted in "cabana" and "shack". Japanese call them umi no ie or "House of the Sea". Is there an English word or phrase that describes these unique little temporary structures?

Here is a link to one example. http://rmake.jp/published_items/1421

  • Are these little temporary restaurants in Japan? Could you describe them, for example, do they have four walls and a door in addition to a roof, or are they open on one or more sides? They sound charming. – ab2 Mar 16 '16 at 1:05
  • 5
    Can you edit this to add some photos? – curiousdannii Mar 16 '16 at 1:05
  • A "beach restaurant," a "beach cafe" books.google.com/ngrams/…; google.fr/… – Elian Mar 16 '16 at 1:43
  • Depends on what's being served. Sometimes they can be "crab shacks" or "lobster shacks" google.com/… although maybe you're thinking more temporary than that. – Jim Mar 16 '16 at 2:20

These can be commonly named Tiki hut, Tiki Bar or Tiki restaurant.

  • 2
    I think you are right, but you should have added more information so that the OP and other users could judge whether you are right. I added a link to photographs of Tiki huts, which is the minimum needed to flesh out your answer. – ab2 Mar 16 '16 at 2:01
  • Oceania? Maori? or across the Pacific? – Hugh Mar 16 '16 at 2:24
  • Tiki hut may be the closest English expression for these Japanese restaurants. Similar restaurants are popular in South Korea but the style of seating, foods, and location are different. – Semaj Mar 16 '16 at 3:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.