Is there a name for a letter or word that appears as multiple different letters/words. The best way I know of to explain what I am looking for is the comical true/false word ambiguity displayed below.

enter image description here

The picture above gives the appearance of both the word true and false. Is there a term for this word/letter ambiguity?


1 Answer 1


It seems to be a type of ambigram, specifically a "perceptual shift" or "oscillation" ambigram. This term is used on Wikipedia and also on some other websites, such as "A Through Approach to the Ambigram Along With Spectacular Examples" and "Liquisearch."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.