I was changing the back light bulb on my car ,and I was struggling to unbutton this button-shaped thing . what do you call this button-shaped thing in English?

It looks like a tack or a fastener. The car manufacturer might have a specific name for it. ( I'm curious to know )

button-shaped thing

  • 1
    I'd call it a stud fastening / clip / closure (push the stud "head" in and it "locks", pull it out and the outer part can be detached). Mar 9, 2016 at 15:44
  • @FumbleFingers , exactly
    – KF2
    Mar 9, 2016 at 15:49
  • 1
    I put fastening first because I'd be more likely to use that in the context of the thing that holds the car boot lining in place, but I'd probably say stud clip n the context of, say, earrings. And stud closure in more "abstract" contexts where you're just talking about how two sheets could be bonded along an edge (in an engineering drawing, say). Mar 9, 2016 at 16:15
  • @fumbleFingers , thanks. fastner bumper push clips or something like that aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-push-clips.html
    – KF2
    Mar 9, 2016 at 16:44
  • If it's pulled it "could" be what is called a blind rivet. But it does look like common plastic fastener used a lot in automotive applications.
    – user116032
    Mar 9, 2016 at 19:36

2 Answers 2


It is called a rivet fastener. If it is plastic, you can call it a plastic rivet fastener. If it is metal, you can call it a metal rivet fastener.

  • You are answering your own question?
    – NVZ
    Mar 11, 2016 at 5:22
  • @NVZ, that's what I found after I had asked the car service center .
    – KF2
    Mar 11, 2016 at 16:19
  • 1
    @NVZ It's acceptable and even encouraged in the right context. See this link.
    – Lawrence
    Mar 11, 2016 at 17:09
  • 1
    @Lawrence Thanks, I didn't know that.
    – NVZ
    Mar 11, 2016 at 17:12

A blog post titled Peugeot 206 Rear Light Replacement shows the actual image you posted in the question. In it they call it a plastic bung. But rivet fastener seems like the better name here since bung may not be understood by many.

  • I actually came across the same phrase " plastic bung " , but some of my native English speaker friends told me it seems to be wierd .
    – KF2
    Mar 11, 2016 at 16:34
  • I see. Bung may not be used internationally. But I just wanted to show you what the blogger himself called it.
    – NVZ
    Mar 11, 2016 at 16:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.