I need a word that could be used equally to describe the action of locking or unlocking.

Context is naming a class in a program (code) that would contain both actions of locking and unlocking a record.

My primary language is not English so I cannot think of one or don't know if it exist.

closed as off-topic by Drew, NVZ, jimm101, curiousdannii, Nathaniel Mar 9 '16 at 13:49

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 6
    Meh, maybe toggle? Or slide the bolt (which doesn't inherently indicate in which direction). – Dan Bron Mar 4 '16 at 14:40
  • 1
    toggle-lock, lock-or-unlock,... This is programming - you can invent your own names. You need not look for existing single English words. – Drew Mar 4 '16 at 14:57
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because a programming name is sought, not necessarily an existing English word. – Drew Mar 4 '16 at 14:58
  • 2
    I'd call it "LockManager", which suggests it's in charge of removing/adding the locked status. – Max Williams Mar 4 '16 at 15:01
  • 1
    So often does this type of question arise, I feel sure someone will one day ask if there is a single word which comprises both up and down, or right and left. Only in those cases I suppose one could offer direction. But no, I can't think of anything which could mean either lock or unlock. – WS2 Mar 4 '16 at 16:37

I'd call it "LockManager", which suggests it's in charge of removing/adding the locked status.


The word you are looking for is toggle.

(Toggle lock on or off)

This is a verb that is used within computing to indicate something is alternating between discrete states - I've only ever known it to be used in a binary sense (typically for an on/off switch).

  • 2
    No. Toggle means to switch between binary states. It has nothing per se to do with locks or locking. A toggle that switches between the two states locked and unlocked is what this question is about. – Drew Mar 4 '16 at 17:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.