Is there a phrase about those movie stars who are just good-looking but mediocre acting and those maybe not so good-looking (compare with those good-looking ones) but amazing skilled acting movie stars? Something like, 'teenager eye candy'? Is there any specific words or phrase for these two?

  • Could be bit-part actor. Or someone that overacts is called a ham-actor
    – user9682
    Commented Jun 22, 2011 at 14:10

3 Answers 3


The phrase "eye candy" that you used is pretty apposite for actors of this sort. Other times we just call them "Megan Fox".

Actors of the opposite sort are usually just called "good actors".

  • Megan FOX????? Come on, we ain't judging here, we're dicussing here, haha! Although I really agree with you on this one, still, no other words or phrase at all??? And "good actors", that's just not strong enough for what I wanna express:)
    – Daisy
    Commented Jun 22, 2011 at 14:12
  • @Daisy Then use 'great actors'. Or 'excellent actors'. Or 'amazing actors'. Or ...
    – Philoto
    Commented Jun 22, 2011 at 15:46
  • +1 for eye candy. The opposite sort you might describe as "exceptionally talented thespians."
    – Kit Z. Fox
    Commented Jun 22, 2011 at 19:02

1) "Not just a pretty face" is a common antonym, so "just a pretty face" would be understood.

2) It's not quite right, but character actor is close. Many people in this category would also be described as character actors.

  • Character actor often implies especially ugly
    – mgb
    Commented Jun 24, 2011 at 2:44

There's also the old-fashioned "matinee idol," which means a male actor known primarily for his looks.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.