I'm writing a review of the play, I need to list credits for the play.

The person who writes the play is the playwright.

What term do I use to refer to the group of actors etc that performed the play? From their Facebook page - they say they are a

inter-disciplinary Performance Art Collective

What word would I use to describe the group?


The adventure of John Smith

Playwright: Jane Doe

[Performance Group]: The Snazzy Art Collective

Venue: Some Venue.


3 Answers 3


A "troupe"

this is the term for a group of actors or other performers.

Considering your update (with the playbill), I think that "Performance Ensemble" is probably going to work well given their name. That said, "troupe" is still more traditional.

If you want to be a bit cheeky about their amateur nature, especially if their visual style is wild or otherwise rustic, you can use "menagerie." This is not pejorative if used with a warm review, as it renders the eccentricity while valuing their energy. Though, in your playbill format, it would not be well. You would use menagerie when writing a review.


"Acting company", "Actors", or "Cast"

  • 1
    Acting company, especially, is the modern term used to refer to a group of actors in official literature.
    – user2754
    Feb 21, 2016 at 3:35

Performers: The Snazzy Art Collective

You can go minimal because Collective in the name says that they are a group.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.