The phrase "ties back to" is used frequently, but it feels awkward in a formal paper. I'm seeking a word or phrase which means the same thing, but has a more appropriate sound.

An example sentence is:

This fact ties back to my initial interest in the subject.

  • Your need is a bit unclear. Do you simply mean "references"? Or perhaps "is related to" or "is derived from"? – Hot Licks Feb 16 '16 at 2:41
  • What @HotLicks said. And echoes, is related to, or refers to. – Drew Feb 16 '16 at 5:21

"Ties back to", as well as being informal, is also a vague phrase, meaning only that there is some kind of connection between the two things. With more formality you are probably going to want more precision, especially in a scientific paper.

Some suggestions might be:

  • is caused by
  • is due to
  • is linked to
  • refers back to
  • connects back to

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.