I am writing my resume. I have finished college, but in my university there is an annoying (months long) wait after the last exam until people who have completed their work toward their degree receive their diploma. I am updating my resume and I would like a word to explain the situation.

Something like "degree in process" or "diploma pending". I feel this reads like I have not yet finished my studies, and that's not the case.

  • 1
    This question is better suited for academia.stackexchange.com.
    – Hot Licks
    Feb 15, 2016 at 22:08
  • It depends on whether your student bus pass still works.
    – Rob_Ster
    Feb 15, 2016 at 22:25
  • 3
    How about a phrase such as "all degree requirements fulfilled; awaiting diploma"? If you are trying to convey the nuances of a rather complicated situation, it makes sense to use as many words as it takes to represent the situation accurately.
    – Sven Yargs
    Feb 15, 2016 at 22:46
  • Yeah, I was hoping there was a word for my situation, but I guess that's simply not the case. Feb 15, 2016 at 22:57

2 Answers 2


The word graduand refers to somebody who has passed all the exams for a degree but not yet graduated in the sense of receiving a certificate. It's not strictly accurate for a diploma, but I would think you could use it without causing too much confusion.

  • The word graduand is one that many people would take for a misspelling of graduate or some similar word. Probably best avoided, at least in the US.
    – Hot Licks
    Feb 16, 2016 at 13:19
  • @HotLicks: the correct word is to be avoided because you think your audience won't understand it? That sounds both patronizing and despairing. Feb 16, 2016 at 17:52
  • If you look at the dictionary, it's a UK-only word.
    – Hot Licks
    Feb 16, 2016 at 17:57
  • I approved this answer, because it is exactly what I wanted in meaning. But I did not use it in my resume because it's apparently only used in the UK. Clarity is more important than terseness. Feb 19, 2016 at 11:24

If you feel the need to be up front about not having the "piece of paper" yet you could say: I obtained X degree in Y field on Month/Day/Year. The certificate is presently being processed.

Am I correct in assuming it is the physical certificate you are awaiting? Are you on record with the University as having graduated with your degree on a particular date, if someone were to contact the school? If so, you may not need to mention it on the resume at all.

  • Well, in the unlikely case that there is some problem with the paperwork I wouldn't like for it to look like I lied on my resume. The record shows that I passed all my courses, and my thesis was approved, but I'm not sure it's correct to say I graduated until the ceremony and proccess is all done with. Feb 15, 2016 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.