I mean adjectives like: ablaze, afloat, alive, ashore, ...

I did a quick Google search and found that they are called a adjectives. But I do remember that I came across a different denomination in a grammar book some time ago, but I have since forgotten that word.

Could anyone help?

  • I believe they are simply called: "prepositional phrases" (e.g., asleep comes from the Old English PP “on sleep”). I don't know if that is the answer you are looking for, if it is, someone can expand and submit it. – Mari-Lou A Feb 14 '16 at 12:25
  • Thx for your edit & for adding 'alive' @Mari-LouA. But I think I came across a different word than your suggestion. – user15851 Feb 14 '16 at 12:31
  • @Mari-LouA Interesting & informative but still not very helpful! – user15851 Feb 14 '16 at 13:12
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA Got to go and find da book; gosh, don't even remember what grammar book was it! – user15851 Feb 14 '16 at 13:26

Oxford ALD refers to them as predicative adjectives usually occurring after copulative verbs such as Be, Seem, Get, Become, Look, etc. Also:http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/adjectives.htm

  • Found the book -- it refers to them as predicative adjectives too.Thank you for your help. – user15851 Feb 14 '16 at 18:58
  • 1
    From the link: The most common of the so-called a- adjectives are *ablaze, afloat, afraid, aghast, alert, alike, alive, (etc.). These adjectives will primarily show up as predicate adjectives (i.e., they come after a linking verb). Not all adjectives that begin with an "a" are predicative. Not all predicative adjectives are "a-adjectives". – Mari-Lou A Feb 15 '16 at 14:17
  • That goes without saying :-) – user15851 Feb 16 '16 at 9:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy