The question

Portmanteau seems to apply in cases like:

  • Phablet - Bigger than a smart phone, smaller than a tablet.
  • Smog - Smoke and fog.
  • Vlog - Video and blog.

There must be another word for things that have a more phonetic feel:

  • Shizzle - recently added to the OED, which sort of feels like sure with fizzle in it?

Or for a word that has one letter replaced by another letter or letters, but where the pronunciation stays the same:

  • Comix - Web comics?

The word is portmanteau. I found this: "Portmanteau word "word blending the sound of two different words" (1882), coined by "Lewis Carroll" (Charles L. Dodgson, 1832-1898) for the sort of words he invented for "Jabberwocky," on notion of "two meanings packed up into one word." As a noun in this sense from 1872." on Dictionary.com after stumbling across it in Wikipedia. MY word would be "combiage"= combine+verbiage As far as the new words that would be neologism as defined by MW: Simple Definition of neologism

: a new word or expression or a new meaning of a word
| improve this answer | |

It is a portmanteau; a formal example of one is brunch (breakfast + lunch), whereas a more informal example is skort (skirt + shorts).

| improve this answer | |
  • What is comix? a combination of comic and sex? And Shizzle, what is that a combination of? – ContextCue Feb 13 '16 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.