This question already has an answer here:

I am writing a book about illicit antiquities. Some of my resources spell this word, artefact; others, artifact. Is one right and the other wrong?

marked as duplicate by cobaltduck, Mari-Lou A, jimm101, Sven Yargs, ab2 Feb 8 '16 at 21:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Artefact is British, while Americans use artifact. So, depending on where you live, choose accordingly.

I found this information here.

  • @cobaltduck I was busy when I wrote it, but I did what you said. – Xandar The Zenon Feb 8 '16 at 19:52
  • SteveM's accepted answer to the question of which this is a duplicate is 'artefact is preferred in British English and artifact is preferred in US English, but ... both are acceptable in either case.' – Edwin Ashworth Feb 8 '16 at 23:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.