Say I robbed you which makes you angry and then I blame you for being angry even though I caused it. So in a sense I'm accusing you falsely and making you a scapegoat. Is there a single word for what I should be called if I make false accusations in that specific way that I caused the situation even putting the blame on you ("scapegoat")?

  • 3
    An allegator, which is obsolete, by the way. But I kind of like it. Sounds like....
    – Lambie
    Commented Feb 5, 2016 at 19:33
  • 1
    @Lambie Not to mean that. Wanker and tosser have the same very specific meaning and the same non-specific ones. Neither meaning is complimentary, but nor do they in any way imply false allegation.
    – WS2
    Commented Feb 5, 2016 at 19:47
  • 2
    @Lambie You might say the allegator is crying crocodile tears :) .
    – Lawrence
    Commented Feb 5, 2016 at 20:09
  • 2
    Sounds like the guy who murdered his parents and asks the judge to excuse him because he is an orphan.
    – bib
    Commented Feb 5, 2016 at 20:18
  • 1
    Also sounds like a specific behavior pattern of a sociopath
    – bib
    Commented Feb 5, 2016 at 20:21

2 Answers 2


The term victim blaming, or blaming the victim has entered into common usage as seen in this Wikipedia article.

If you needed a noun or noun phrase, you could say victim blamer.


defamer de·fame (dĭ-fām′)

  1. To damage the reputation, character, or good name of (someone) by slander or libel.
  2. (Archaic) To disgrace.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.