I want to write the following:

This is due to the dramaticness of the day.

What other word can I use?

  • In what context: A revolution? A love affair? Contextless questions are very difficult to answer. – Lambie Feb 4 '16 at 15:59
  • 4
    @lambie dramaticness is not a word in any context ... – ell Feb 4 '16 at 21:11
  • Oh really? I would never ever have dreamt it was. [sarcasm]. Be that as it may, to try and help, one needs some context. There's a guy who works for the BBC called Gramaticus. Love that name. – Lambie Feb 4 '16 at 22:08
  • I'm guessing your meaning is along the lines assumed by the answers already given. But are you saying the day itself is dramatic? (Like a dramatic sunrise, or dramatic weather throughout the day.) Or are you saying a lot of people acted dramatically today? (Which is what everyone assumes you meant.) I don't think it would really affect which "drama"-based word you'd use, but it could affect the way you use it. – MichaelS Feb 5 '16 at 6:31
  • Or maybe.... you know... “This was due to how dramatic the day was.” Or “This was due to the drama of the day.” Sometimes it just needs some restructuring, not a brand new word. – Kaitlyn Stoddard Jun 7 at 23:20

The root word drama fits: "This is due to the drama of the day."

3 a : a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces
b : dramatic state, effect, or quality - the drama of the courtroom proceedings - M-W


It isn't in any official dictionary, though it does appear on community dictionaries like Urban Dictionary and Wordnik.

Merriam-Webster offers dramatism as the appropriate word to mean dramatic manner or form.

  • Thank you for your reply: Is it correct to write, This is due to the dramatism of the day? – model_checker Feb 4 '16 at 10:58
  • That's how I would write it, yeah. – John Clifford Feb 4 '16 at 10:59
  • 3
    It also has just a couple of examples in the OED - the most recent being 1901. But I don't see the point. Drama gives better effect in my view. Some people have a dreadful tendency to create long words for things where thee is a perfectly good short one - (what is the quietness if not the quiet). – WS2 Feb 4 '16 at 11:15
  • 3
    You mean there are people who will use verbose terminology when a diminutive vocabulary would suffice? :) – John Clifford Feb 4 '16 at 11:17
  • @ChongDogMillionaire I know that; I didn't bother as it was just a stupid joke comment. And I didn't do it with my first comment as there was only one prior to it and I assumed OP was still checking the post. – John Clifford Feb 4 '16 at 12:10

If you're trying to describe how people would overreact, then "melodrama", "histrionics", "theatricality" or even dramatics might be close, instead of "drama". Which one you use depends on the context around your line - if you're referring to a society or large group of people, the above words fit better. If you're describing a situation between a few people, "drama" fits perfectly.

Also check out this SE question: Is there a single word for a person who overreacts?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.