I just wanted to know the exact name of a punctuation mark which is used below a word or words to indicate the repetition i.e.

Impact of war on youth.
// // // // elders.

What is the specific name for the punctuation mark which is below the words (Impact of war). Is it called double slash or double oblique hyphen?

1 Answer 1


These are called ditto marks, and were traditionally represented by a quotation mark (") or a double prime mark (''). In the modern era we have Unicode which has assigned the character U+3003 (〃) as the ditto mark for CJK scripts* and U+2033 (″) for western scripts.

  • Chinese, Japanese, Korean

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.