To sext, (usually as noun sexting) refers to:
- sending (someone) sexually explicit photographs or messages via mobile phone:
- Its earliest usage appears to be from 2005, thought other sources cite a later date.
- by 2005, from contraction of sex (n.) + text (v.). Etymonline
- the sending of sexually explicit messages or images by cell phone, blend of sex and texting. First Known Use: 2007. - M-W
According to Wikipedia:
- The first published use of the term sexting was in a 2005 article in the Australian Sunday Telegraph Magazine.The Pew Research Center commissioned a study on sexting.
1) Was the term first used and coined in Australia, or was it already used in the USA when The Pew Research Center (an American think tank based in Washington, D.C.)) commissioned the study?
2) When and by whom was the term sext/sexting first used?