Is there some verb that represents an action of "saying goodbye" ?


When you meet someone, you say hello.

When you ____ (with) someone, you say goodbye.

When a pair does this it is called "break up".

  • 2
    Depart? Separate. Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 13:49
  • 4
    To break up with someone means to end a romantic relationship. To part or take leave is to say goodbye.
    – GoDucks
    Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 14:30
  • 1
    And by pair I think you mean couple: although these words are normally synonyms, couple is used to refer to two people in a romantic relationships while pair isn't generally. e.g.: “Are they a pair?” “Uh, yes, they are two people.” “No, I mean are they a couple?” “Oh! Yes, they started dating yesterday.” Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 17:53
  • Use whatever word you think best suggests the reason for parting.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 19:19

3 Answers 3


The verb you are looking for is part

to go apart from or leave one another, as persons

[Dictionary.com, sense 23.]

In your case,

When you part with someone, you say goodbye.

  • Many words describe either the action of leaving, or of being left. "Part" is excellent since it fits both. Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 17:11
  • 2
    +1, but I can't decide whether I like "part from" or "part with" more.
    – DCShannon
    Commented Jan 30, 2016 at 8:24
  • @dcshannon - that could make a good ELU question!
    – BiscuitBoy
    Commented Jan 30, 2016 at 9:47

The verb leave could also work:


  • a : to go away from : depart (leave the room)
  • b : desert, abandon (left his wife)
  • c : to terminate association with : withdraw from (left school before graduation)

When you leave someone, you say goodbye.

  • Note that "to leave with someone" is also perfectly capable of conveying an entirely different message!))) Commented Jan 29, 2016 at 17:59
  • 1
    "take your leave" works better Commented Feb 3, 2016 at 1:12

Kind of a special case, but "dismiss" also works.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.