Is there a word for phrase for when you look for something over and over in the same places unsuccessfully then find it there when you look again?

  • 4
    I have it written down here somewhere ... Let me look ...
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jan 27, 2016 at 2:01
  • 2
    The word changes based on how old you are.
    – Jim
    Commented Jan 27, 2016 at 2:49
  • 1
    "It's been staring me in the face all this time."
    – Hugh
    Commented Jan 27, 2016 at 3:18
  • Could you provide an example sentence explaining how you wish to use it, please?
    – BiscuitBoy
    Commented Jan 27, 2016 at 7:49
  • It's called a "man look" or "boy look" when a man or boy is looking for ages and when a woman or girl find it immediately. Commented Jan 27, 2016 at 11:52

3 Answers 3


be (right) under your nose

"I ​spent all ​morning ​looking for the ​book, and it was ​right under my nose the ​whole ​time."


If it was a snake, it would have bit me!

  • 2
    Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Commented Jan 20, 2022 at 6:52

In my world this is referred to as: man vision.

The canonical example being a search for milk in the refrigerator. The milk is front and center on the top shelf but the person has an inability to perceive it, and consequently searches all other areas of the refrigerator.

  • 1
    This is something I've never heard before, though I found it documented on Reddit. It brings an unnecessary gender stereotype, one that I assume is on its way out.
    – Laurel
    Commented Jan 20, 2022 at 19:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.