When people are members of a group it's called [having] membership.

Is there a similar word for people who are bosses of a group, like "bossship"? :)

I found the word "directorate" but it means a group of people ("the board of directors of a company"), not the fact that this person is a boss of some group.

  • 1
    It's a bit of an oxymoron, but you can say they're a member of "management". A person directly in charge of peons is a "first-line manager".
    – Hot Licks
    Jan 21 '16 at 19:07
  • How about bossdom?
    – 0..
    Jan 21 '16 at 19:59
  • Directors are given a directorship. Beyond that your second paragraph says you want a word for "the bosses of a group" but your third that you do not want a terms for the group who are the bosses of an organization. This is not clear. Jan 22 '16 at 23:18

Leader is a generic term for a person in charge of members.

We might say that member is to membership as leader is to leadership.

: a position as a leader of a group, organization, etc. - M-W


If you wanted to be a little facetious, you might try reign.


the period during which a sovereign occupies the throne.
royal rule or authority; sovereignty.
dominating power or influence:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.