Similar to this question, what is the term used to refer to people who like Japan or Japanese culture?


2 Answers 2


Formally, the equivalent term would be


though coloquially or in a more insulting context


is sometimes used as well.

  • 2
    Another word someone might use is Otaku. Jan 14, 2016 at 23:57
  • 1
    I was going to include that but Otaku is more for people who are into anime, which isn't what the OP was asking for. Jan 14, 2016 at 23:59
  • 1
    Yeah, you're right, but I feel like it's relevant enough to at least be mentioned. Jan 15, 2016 at 0:05
  • I would agree with that. +1 to your comments for additional info. ^_^ Jan 15, 2016 at 0:14
  • I have never heard either "Nipponophile" or "weeaboo" in my three decades as a Japan resident and Japanophile. Jan 15, 2016 at 5:20



"Japanophile" is a pretty common expression.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.