I understand that a hotelier is "someone who owns or manages a hotel" (reference), much like a hotelkeeper (reference). However, these functions (owning and managing) are far too specific, the same way a concierge, a receptionist and a hotel desk clerk are.

I have also seen a few references to the word hotelry used as an adjective meaning "things that are related to hotels", but there doesn't seem to be any such entry in dictionaries.

Thus my questions are:

  • Is there a word in English to refer to "people that work in hotels"?

  • Is there a word to refer to "things that are related to the realm of hotels"?

  • 1
    Hotel workers, hotel employees. They work in a hotel, don't they? – user140086 Jan 4 '16 at 19:54
  • 1
    He's a hotel worker. She's in the hotel and catering trade. – WS2 Jan 4 '16 at 19:54
  • or an "hotel employee", one that belongs to "hotel staff". – Graffito Jan 4 '16 at 22:40

A general term is hospitality worker. This broadly refers to someone who works in the hospitality industry, which also include, for instance, restaurants.

  • 2
    I would not use hospitality worker for hotel worker. I don't know exactly, but it doesn't sound better than hotel worker. – user140086 Jan 4 '16 at 20:05
  • It might sound better in a resume, don't you think? – Bell App Lab Jan 4 '16 at 20:06
  • @BellAppLab It is primarily-opinion-based. – user140086 Jan 4 '16 at 20:07
  • 1
    I think there's a context where it makes sense. I wouldn't ask the front desk if a "hospitality worker" can take care of something. I would refer in corporate documentation or survey results to hospitality workers, because the term is generally accepted and well defined. – jimm101 Jan 4 '16 at 20:09
  • 3
    @Jimm101 is right. The hotel and restaurant industry is generally referred to as the "hospitality industry." People who work for hotels are said to work in "hospitality," so such workers are commonly called either "hospitality workers" and/or "hospitality industry workers." These terms are the industry standard; they're boilerplate plate language. – Benjamin Harman Jan 4 '16 at 20:23

In very broad strokes, hotels are part of the hospitality industry. In most cases this can stand alone without tagging "worker" or anything on.

Bob: What line of work are you in?
Alice: I work in hospitality.

If you need something more specific I would suggest using "hotel staff". This could cover virtually any non management role and is a bit more classy than "hotel worker" or similar.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.